- This event has passed.
Rutgers RU Ready to Farm Beginning Farmer Workshop in AC
February 7, 2019 @ 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
Looking to start a small farm?
Rutgers Cooperative Extension has a program for you!
Rutgers Cooperative Extension will host the “RU Ready to Farm” -Beginner Farmer Workshop during the New Jersey Vegetable Growers Convention in Atlantic City on Thursday, February 7th from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. This program will be geared towards anyone who is interested in starting a farm, those new to farming or even established farmers looking for new opportunities.Topics covered in this workshop will include:
- Resources on land availability in New Jersey
- Tips on where to access capital
- Shared experiences from successful farmers
- Insight on what to look for when assessing potential farm properties
- Effective marketing methods and promotion of farm products
- Current organic and conventional agricultural regulations
- Securing an internship with an organic or conventional farm
Rutgers Professor and Agricultural Agent, Bill Hlubik, said of the program,
“We are trying to encourage people of all ages, to learn more about agriculture and our local food system. We have helped to secure internships and employment for some participants to work with successful organic and conventional farmers in order to gain valuable hands-on experience. Others have started their own small scale farm operations. Attendees will gain a genuine appreciation for the hard work and complex issues that farmers face, even if they do not end up farming.”
For the program agenda and to sign up for the event, please visit the Eventbrite page.