Dr. Kate Thomsen’s medical training in Family Medicine and women’s health, along with her former career as an environmentalist have given her a unique vantage point in consultations with patients. She views health as an ecosystem, looking at how a patient is functioning as a whole ‐ not as pieces or parts.
Functional Medicine provides effective tools to both evaluate and treat a person in their ecosystem. It is a revolutionary way of thinking and has gained serious momentum as the incidence of chronic disease climbs and a healthy lifestyle and environment eludes many. Functional Medicine has a systematic and organized way of looking at an individual’s health regardless of their “diagnosis”.
Dr. Thomsen was among the first graduating class of the Institute for Functional Medicine’s rigorous certification program in 2013. She became Board certified by the newly created American Board of Integrative Medicine in 2017. She has been practicing Functional, Integrative and Holistic medicine since 1997 – over 20 years! She is excited to be on the forefront of the new medicine aimed at prevention and the amelioration of chronic disease.
The following list includes selected highlights of Dr. Thomsen’s educational background:
• Residency trained in Family Medicine with Board Certification in 1992
• Created and completed the first Women’s Health Fellowship in Family Medicine in the country 1994
• Completed Masters degree in Public Health (MPH) 1995
• Academic faculty appointment at Rutgers – Robert Wood Johnson Medical School until 1996
• Medical Director of the national organization, Planned Parenthood Federation of America until 2001
• Completed Herbal Therapeutics, School of Botanical Medicine training in 2005
• Opened a private practice in Integrative, Holistic and Functional Medicine in 1997
• Institute for Functional Medicine Certified practitioner 2013
• Board Certified by the American Board of Integrative Medicine (ABOIM) 2017
• Countless hours of course work and self-study in Integrative, Holistic and Functional Medicine – ongoing