The Foodshed Alliance is hiring an Agricultural Conservation Specialist on a contractual basis funded
by a grant from the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS).
The Foodshed Alliance is a nonprofit organization working to strengthen sustainable farming, increase
access to local, healthy food, and protect the environment for all members of our communities.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to Kendrya Close at Kendrya@foodshedalliance.org
(preferred) or mail to Foodshed Alliance, P.O. Box 713, Blairstown, NJ 07825.
Job Title: Agricultural Conservation Specialist
Reports To: Executive Director
Status: Independent Contractor. Grant-funded position through 3/29/24. Flexible schedule, averaging 8 hours per week. Work remotely, as well as on-site in our office in Hope, NJ, and at our farm in Newton, NJ.
• Work with the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) to provide technical assistance to historically disadvantaged* farmers on implementation of climate-friendly farming practices, including but not limited to soil and water conservation, no- or low-till practices, cover crop techniques, etc.
• Plan and implement field demonstrations and workshops on climate-friendly farming practices on Sustainable Agriculture Enterprises (SAgE) farm plots located in Newton, NJ.
• Work with Foodshed Alliance Outreach Consultant to publicize SAgE education/training available on Climate Smart Agriculture practices.
• Work with NRCS on climate-friendly farming practices promoted within their agency.
• Experience and passion for sustainable agriculture, climate-smart practices (no-till and cover crop), soil science, and agronomy;
• Commitment to continuing learning about field application of climate-smart practices;
• Bachelor’s degree in scientific field (agricultural, environmental, or related field), or equivalent on-farm experience;
• Demonstrated experience utilizing judgment in field-based projects or research;
• Excellent communication skills both verbally and in writing;
• Proficiency and experience entering and summarizing data in Microsoft Excel;
• Working knowledge of ArcGIS or Satellite Imagery programs a plus;
• Must be able to work long hours outside in varied weather conditions and able to carry and move field supplies across diverse and uneven terrain;
• Must be comfortable working independently;
• Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle.
This position requires interaction with many different stakeholders. As ambassadors for the Foodshed Alliance, team members treat all parties with dignity and respect to maintain a community of openness and inclusivity.
Foodshed Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, class, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, family/marital status, religion or other protected classes. We strongly encourage applications from marginalized communities. If you require assistance applying to this opportunity, please contact email@example.com.
Foodshed Alliance • P.O. Box 713 • 97 Stillwater Road • Blairstown, NJ 07825 • 908-362-7967
Kendrya@foodshedalliance.org • www.FoodshedAlliance.org