The Crew Leader will be responsible for ensuring the quality, efficiency and safety of work done by the general crew on a day to day basis. The Crew Leader will be expected to keep the vegetable production running smoothly and efficiently in the absence of the farm manager. Importantly, there may be large stretches of time where these activities need to be supervised solely by the Crew Leader. Being flexible to changing situations is very important. The Crew Leader may be expected to drive tractors, trucks , and other large vehicles. This is a great position for a beginning farmer seeking to gain experience leading a farm crew and learn all aspects of running a commercial vegetable operation. We are looking for someone with an interest to grow with the position for more than one season. The position runs for 10 months.
Responsibilities include: leading crew in greenhouse propagation, ground preparation, transplanting, direct seeding, weed management, irrigation, pest management, harvesting, post-harvest handling, closing down fields, high tunnel growing, and delivering to our restaurants.
- Minimum one year experience in organic vegetable production
- Excellent time management skills
- Comfortable working with small equipment (i.e. rototiller, weedwacker, tractor) or learning these skills
- Experience with tractor implements desired but not required
- Field work experience (harvesting, weeding, planting)
- Good communication skills
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic
- Strong leadership and problem solving skills
- Good attitude and sense of humor
- Enjoy working with people
- Valid driver’s license
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Housing may be available to the right candidate