Farm and Market Assistant Job Description
Reports to: Either Director of Agriculture or Market Manager
Farm and Market Assistants serve as seasonal staff for our farming, Veggie Mobile, and CSA operations. They support every aspect of getting fresh produce to people’s tables, from seeding to harvesting to packing to selling. The Farm and Market Assistant will work with City Green’s farm team to prepare and maintain crop beds and fields, harvest, process, and pack vegetables in preparation for City Green’s Veggie Mobile and CSA programs. Farm and Market Assistants will set up City Green’s farm stand and Veggie Mobile markets, complete customer transactions while providing excellent customer service and information about the fruits and vegetables for sale, and break down the farm stand at the end of each market stop. Additionally, the Farm and Market Assistant will record transactional data, close out the register after each market, account for market inventory, engage customers at the market, and more.
Market Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Loading and unloading crates of fresh fruits and vegetables for transport to and from market locations
- Driving the Veggie Mobile to and from each market site, which include local libraries, senior centers, municipal buildings, and more
- Setting up and breaking down farm stands, tents, tables, produce, and displays according to City Green standards
- Ensuring that produce and other food products are stored, displayed, and handled properly
- Completing cash and federal benefit transactions (SNAP, WIC, FMNP) at all Veggie Mobile market sites
- Implementing the “Good Food Bucks” incentive program at all market sites for SNAP, WIC, and FMNP customers
- Collecting and recording transactional data for each market site
- Providing friendly and respectful customer service to all Veggie Mobile shoppers
- Performing other duties as assigned
Farm Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Participation in all aspects of field work under the leadership of our Director of Agriculture and Assistant Farm Manager, including: weed management, cultivating, transplanting, direct seeding, bed forming and amending, harvesting, washing/packing, and overall land stewardship on our property including mowing and weed whacking.
- Washing, processing, and packing for our CSA, wholesale, and market programs
- Participation in all aspects of seeding, propagation, and watering
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. regularly & ability and willingness to work in often uncomfortable physical positions for short or long periods of time (example: we work on our hands and knees often and we work outside in all weather).
- Caring for our farm animals, including feeding, watering, and helping with our rotational grazing systems
- Performing other duties as assigned
Additional Responsibilities include:
- Fostering and maintaining positive relationships with partners throughout programs
- Maintenance of records and files for contacts and program materials
- Support for printed materials (flyers, newsletters, reports, etc.)
- Support maintenance and updates of of annual production schedule
- Procuring materials within organization guidelines; manages expense reporting
- Timely and professional communication with collaborating staff and outside program partners
- Participate in “All Hands On Deck” activities, where all City Green staff cooperate on a large project, event, educational program or volunteer day
- Support initiatives and programs throughout the organization as needed
- Be prepared to represent City Green in a variety of situations with partners, guests, funders, government officials, other stakeholders, and community members
- Adhere to City Green’s principles and policies
- Adhering to City Green’s policies and practices around diversity, equity and inclusion
- Be prepared to support interdepartmental events activities
- Follow organizational policies and standards for safety and liability
- Must have excellent customer service skills and be comfortable working with diverse customers
- Comfortable completing and recording monetary and federal benefit transactions in fast-paced settings
- Friendly and positive attitude required
- Experience working closely with a team
- Familiarity with food access, locally grown produce, organic agriculture, and food systems
- Comfortable working outside in all weather conditions and capable of lifting 40-50 lbs
- Must be available on select nights and weekends as needed
- Familiarity with federal benefits (SNAP, WIC, FMNP) a plus
- Ability to speak Spanish preferred
- Valid driver’s license of at least 12 months and a clean drivers history
- Access to own vehicle for transportation to and from market sites strongly preferred
Hours and Compensation:
- Farm and Market Assistants are paid $14.50/hour.
- Training will be provided, and several positions are available.
- This is a seasonal position (May – November) ranging from 30-40 hours per week.
- Farm and Market Assistants must be available on select weekends and evenings.
City Green requires all interns and employees to be fully vaccinated and boosted, and to undergo a background check in order to qualify for employment. After being offered a position, candidates will be asked to furnish proof of vaccination and submit a background check prior to the start date.
- Visit www.citygreenonline.org/careers to apply.
- Positions are filled on a rolling basis. Early application is encouraged!
- Please contact us at 973-869-4086 or email@example.com with any questions.
About City Green
City Green, Inc. is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to facilitating the establishment of urban farms and gardens in northern New Jersey’s cities to create increased access to healthy, local food while cultivating education in food systems, nutrition and the environment.
Diversity is a core value of City Green. We believe the power of diversity enriches all of us by exposing us to a range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design and deliver solutions. City Green is committed to working to build and sustain an equitable and inclusive work environment where diversity is celebrated and valued. We believe diversity benefits and enriches the development of all of our staff, partners, supporters, and community.
City Green has two farm sites: a 5-acre farm at our headquarters in Clifton and a one-acre farm in a public park in Paterson. We sustainably grow over 50 varieties of vegetables, keep a small flock of hens for eggs, a small herd of goats, and maintain educational gardens for programs. We operate our own farm stands in Clifton, Paterson and Passaic as well as a mobile market serving neighborhoods in the area. Through our farms and markets, we aim to create increased access to local, farm-fresh food, while addressing issues of food justice.