Job Description – Organic Farm Apprentice/Intern
Start Date: Spring 2023
Work schedule: 5 days a week
School Lunch Organic Farm & CSA, located on 70 acres in Northern NJ, is seeking apprentices/interns for the full 2023 season. This job begins in the spring and ends in late fall. The apprenticeship is for individuals have a desire to fully immerse themselves in farming. We ask for up to 5 days of work per week. Apprentices will learn all aspects of vegetable production and marketing, including weeding, harvesting, washing, CSA distribution, greenhouse management, seeding, transplanting, etc.
Educational Opportunities: Daily activities will include
Seed starting in greenhouse and nutrient management. Direct sowing in fields.
- Record keeping
- Bed preparation: rock picking, cultivating, back pack flaming, weeding, and working with drip irrigation
- Pest management techniques including: foliar spraying, use of clay, row covers, biodynamic
- Specific techniques for harvesting, cleaning, and storing different vegetables
- Tractor and implement safety, maintenance, hookup, calibration and operation
- Farm Upkeep: mowing tractor ways and grass borders, weed-whacking, building, repairs, painting
- Working with volunteers—adults and children
Internship Starts: March/April 2023 Internship Ends: October 2023 (starting and end dates are flexible)
Number of Apprentices/Interns: 2 Apprentices full season, interns a minimum of 3 months
Skills Desired: Farming requires a strong work ethic. The work is physical and challenging but growing food for families can be a very uplifting experience. We require a valid drivers license and the ability to lift at least 50lbs.
School Lunch Organic Farm & CSA
69 Stephen Park Road
Hackettstown, NJ 07840
School Lunch Farm Vision:
School Lunch Organic Farm was founded with the idea that everyone should have access to healthy organic produce…. those who can pay and those who cannot. Our vision is to help solve this disparity. We believe everyone has the right to healthy food on their table.
TEXT MARGARET TODAY AT 908-451-0051