Seasonal, Part-Time Flower Farmer
We’re seeking to expand our flower farm team for the 2023 season. This position is seasonal and part-time. We begin work the first week of April and end the first week of December, weather depending. The farm moves at an energetic pace, the tasks can be repetitive at times, and the work is physically demanding. We are looking for folks who like being outside (in all kinds of weather), are fine with working alone at times, can take direction and follow through without a lot of hand holding. We enjoy people who are upbeat, have a positive attitude and aren’t afraid to ask questions. While previous experience with plants is preferred, we are willing to train people who have the enthusiasm needed to work in farming!
What’s the job?
Your main responsibilities will include:
– Harvesting (yes, cutting flowers but doing so correctly and efficiently)
– Weeding, weeding, weeding – and learning who is a weed and who is not
– Composting and Mulching (read: schlepping heavy things)
– Keeping up with the bucket washing (can be a lovely task on a hot summer day)
– Planting all kinds of things: from tiny seedlings to digging large holes for shrubs
– Using all the tools in a safe and responsible manner and putting them all back in their proper places
– Keeping things neat and tidy
Helping care for our flock of chickens
Requirements for Success:
– Must be able and willing to lift 40 lbs. regularly
– Must be able and willing to hustle and be on your feet all day
– Must be able and willing to work in all types of weather conditions, including high heat, humidity, and rain
– Must have your own transportation to and from work
– Must possess effective and positive communication skills
– Must be goal-oriented and self-motivated in order to work independently on a regular basis
– Must be punctual, meaning you actually ready to work when the work day begins (vs just pulling in to park)
– You must be fluent in English but Spanish ability is a bonus!
We have the following positions available:
Committed to 16 hours a week; 8 hours on Monday and 8 hours on Thursdays.
Committed to 8 hours a week: 4 hours on Monday and 4 hours on Thursdays.
Committed to 4 hours a week: 4 hours on Monday.
Compensation starts at $16/hr. with performance goals set to increase compensation quickly to $18+/hr. for the right employee along with season-end bonuses.
To Apply: Please send resume and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Flower Farmer Application” in the subject line. Please also indicate which commitment you are interested in.
Please note: This position is not a floral design position and is specific to working on the farm.
Our farm is located in Morristown, NJ. To learn more about the farm, visit www.fairviewfarmandflowers.com or find us on Instagram @fairviewfarmandflowers